The Iziko Michaelis Collection at the Old Town House, Cape Town.
Concert of Birds by Frans Snijders (1579 - 1657). (c) Iziko Michealis Collection.
Poultry-yard with angered cock by Melchoir d'Hondecoeter (1635 - 1695). (c) Iziko Michealis Collection.
The Village of Midlum (1900) by Abraham Van Beerstraten. (c) Iziko Michealis Collection.
Portrait of Leitenant General Hay Macdowal by H Raenburn. (c) Iziko Michealis Collection.
Portrait of a lady by Pieter Nason. (c) Iziko Michealis Collection.
The Michaelis Collection is a collection of internationally renowned paintings created by Old Dutch and Flemish Masters from the 16th to 18th centuries. This collection was donated by Sir Maximilian Michaelis, and his wife, in 1913.
Michaelis was a German-born South African who worked as a financier and diamond mining magnate in South Africa. He was also a patron of the arts. Lady Florence Phillips, wife of Randlord Baron Sir Lionel Phillips, was instrumental in convincing Sir Michaelis to purchase the collection which was built by Sir Hugh Lane, a British art collector, and donate it to South Africa. Lady Phillips had a vision for a collection of paintings that would form the body of a large collection of art works that could in the future become an art museum in South Africa.
When Sir Michaelis died in 1932 his wife continued to endow South Africa with works of art. She donated valuable art collections to the South African National Gallery and Michaelis Collection in Cape Town, and to the National Art Gallery in Pretoria.
Tel: +27 (0)21 481 3965