OngoingPERMANENTThe William Fehr collection of artworks on paper is a remarkable resource containing a wealth of visual information on the shaping of the colonial South African landscape. More info
- William Fehr CollectionPERMANENTCape Town businessman, William Fehr (1892–1968), first loaned this collection of oil paintings, furniture, ceramics, metal and glassware for public exhibition at the Castle in 1952. In 1964...... More info
This historic house and garden, on the edge of the central business district of Cape Town, is home to the William Fehr Collection of pictorial Africana. This collection, comprised of superb water colours, etchings and lithographs, reflects past moments of social and maritime history at the Cape as well as across Southern Africa.
The house was built in 1778 as a residence for the Dutch East India Company's (VOC) Cape fiscal, Willem Cornelis Boers. The rococo fanlight, which forms an integral part of the main entrance, has been ascribed to sculptor Anton Anreith.
The ballroom of the house is an exceptionally charming venue. Complementing this graceful structure is the period-style garden. This fragrant and soothing oasis recalls its original layout of 1786. Nestling in the city centre, this welcoming feature is the perfect spot for your garden parties.
78 Buitenkant Street, Cape Town
Capacity and configuration
|Ballroom||25||25||25||25||17m x 5,5m||4,8m|
Rust en Vreugd
Please note the following:
- No marquees are allowed at any of the Iziko venues
- Conditions apply
- Tariffs on request
- Only email applications will be considered
Contact Venue Hire
About the Museum
Rust en Vreugd was built as a home for Willem Cornelis Boers, a high-ranking official of the VOC (Dutch East India Company) known as a fiscal, around 1777–1778.
The house was built on Cape Town’s outer limits (thus the name of the street – buitenkant or outer edge) in the transitional area between town and the larger market garden farms of the upper part of the city. After Boers, the property passed to several other private citizens.
In 1878, the house was bought by the Dutch Reformed Church and served as a teachers’ training college; the Cape Town High School occupied the property from 1925–1957; and in the early 1960s it was restored and converted into a gallery space.
A second restoration took place in 1993, and more recently, disabled access facilities were installed.
In 1965, William Fehr donated his private collection of works of art on paper (watercolours, prints and drawings) to the people of South Africa. This gift is housed at Rust en Vreugd. Due to the sensitive nature of artworks on paper, only a selection of works is on exhibition.